THE GREAT EDICTS
"Love the Lord your God
with all your heart
with all your soul
with all your strength, and
with all your mind;
Love your neighbor as you love yourself;
Love one another as I have loved you."
(Luke 10:27; Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18; John 15:12)
- I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods beside me.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God, in vain.
- Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
- Honor your father and your mother.
- You shall not kill.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
- You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.
LAWS OF THE CHURCH
- Keep Sundays holy; and participate in Mass on Sunday and holy days of obligation.
- Lead a sacramental life, frequently receiving the Eucharist.
- Prepare for confirmation and be confirmed.
- Observe the marriage laws of the Church and provide children with religious training.
- Strengthen and support the Church.
- Do penance, including abstaining from meat and fasting from food on appointed days.
- Join in the missionary spirit and works of the church.
The Joyful Mysteries (Mondays and Thursdays)
- The annunciation
- The visitation
- The birth of Jesus
- The presentation in the temple
- Mary and Joseph find Jesus in the temple
The Sorrowful Mysteries (Tuesdays and Fridays)
The Glorious Mysteries
- The agony in the garden
- The scourging of Jesus
- The crowning with thorns
- Jesus carries his cross
- Jesus dies on the cross
(Sundays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays)
How to recite the rosary
- The resurrection
- The ascension
- The Holy Spirit is sent upon the apostles
- The assumption of Mary
- Mary is crowned queen of heaven and earth
STATIONS OF THE CROSS
First Station: Jesus is condemned to death.
Second Station: Jesus is made to carry His cross.
Third Station: Jesus falls for the first time.
Fourth Station: Jesus meets Mary, His mother.
Fifth Station: Simon, the Cyrenian, helps Jesus carry his cross.
Sixth Station: Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
Seventh Station: Jesus falls the second time.
Eighth Station: Jesus speaks to the daughters of Jerusalem.
Ninth Station: Jesus falls the third time.
Tenth Station: Jesus is stripped of his garments.
Eleventh Station: Jesus is nailed to the cross.
Twelfth Station: Jesus dies on the cross.
Thirteenth Station: Jesus is taken down from the cross.
Fourteenth Station: Jesus is laid in the tomb.
Christmas, the Birth of Jesus - December 25
Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God - January 1
Ascension of the Lord - the 40th day (Thursday) after Easter
Assumption of Mary into Heaven - August 15
All Saints' Day - November 1
Immaculate Conception of Mary - December 8
DAYS OF ABSTINENCE
(Days when Catholics age 14 and over do not eat meat) Ash Wednesday Fridays in Lent Good Friday
DAYS OF FASTING
(Days when Catholics age 18-59 eat only one full meal) Ash Wednesday Good Friday